A classic recipe sure to bring comfort to your table.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- 2 cups chopped potatoes (about 2 to 3 potatoes)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (about 2 to 3 carrots)
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups cauliflower or broccoli cut into small pieces (or 1 cup of each)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts each cut into 3 equal size pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp garlic puree
- 1 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 package cream of chicken or cream of vegetable soup
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Puff pastry*
- 1 egg
*I use store bought frozen butter puff pastry that is already rolled out.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil to cook potatoes, carrots and cauliflower.
- At the same time, in a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic puree, cinnamon stick and chicken pieces. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the water and dice. Set aside. Note: Ensure not to overcook the chicken or it will become dry.
- Once the vegetables added in step 1 are almost cooked (about 5 to 8 minutes), add broccoli if using and corn and boil for a remaining 3 to 4 minutes. Ensure that the vegetables are not overcooked.
- Drain the vegetables in a colander and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the large saucepan, prepare a package of cream of chicken or cream of vegetable soup as indicated on the package’s instructions. For a thicker soup, in a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water to create a mixture and then add to the soup, stirring over medium heat.
- Add the black pepper to the soup and stir.
- Add the vegetables and diced chicken to the soup and stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour the soup mixture into an 8 inch x 11 inch glass dish or individual ramekins not more than ⅔ full.
- Cover with puff pastry and fold over the dish so that it is pulled out firm and not touching the soup mixture. Ensure the edges are sealed. You may need to roll or pull out the puff pastry to cover the entire dish.
- In a small bowl, add egg and beat with a fork.
- Brush the beaten egg over the puff pastry.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.