This Indian appetizer, also known as “Ismailia bhajia”, is one of my favourite dishes and in my opinion, as addictive as potato chips!
Yield: 20 potato fritters
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup water
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled, and cut into ¼ inch-thick round slices
- Canola oil for frying
- Chop the green chilies and blend with about 2 to 3 tbsp water to create a green chili puree.
- In a large bowl, combine the green chili puree, gram flour, salt, cilantro, turmeric, and ½ cup water.
- Heat oil on medium heat in a frying pan to shallow fry. There should be enough oil so that if the potato slice sinks to the bottom, it would be completely submerged.
- Take one potato slice at a time and dip it into the batter, coating well. Place the coated potato slice into the hot oil and cook for about a minute. Flip and cook the other side.
- Remove the potato fritters from the oil and place on a paper towel lined tray to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve with a side of coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or sweet chile sauce.