A great meat alternative, especially when you are short on time.
Yield: 4 to 6 tacos
Black Bean Filling:
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup fresh chopped coriander
- Chopped green chilies to taste (optional)
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salsa (optional)
- Guacamole (optional)
- 6 taco shells or soft tortillas
- Rinse and drain the black beans and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add canola oil.
- Add chopped onions and sauté to cook the onions.
- Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, garlic puree, black pepper, salt, ground cumin and ground coriander. Stir periodically and continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add the freshly chopped coriander and chopped green chilies if using.
- Remove from heat and serve with all desired toppings.