Rich, creamy and delicious, there is nothing like homemade tomato soup. If you have overripe tomatoes sitting around, this is a great way to use them up. I love pairing tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches or adding cheese tortellini to the soup.
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium to large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt half the butter (1/8 cup).
- Add the finely chopped onion and sauté for a couple of minutes to soften the onion.
- Add the chopped tomato and stir to combine. Cover to cook for about 15 minutes to let the tomatoes become pulpy, ensure to stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt the remaining butter (1/8 cup).
- Add the milk and then the flour to the small saucepan, stirring constantly to ensure the mixture remains smooth. Note: Most recipes to make a white sauce will instruct you to add the flour first and then the milk but I find it very difficult to smooth out in this order. Your choice though.
- Once the milk mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
- Using a food processor or blender, puree the tomato mixture and return it to the medium saucepan.
- Add the milk mixture to the tomato mixture and stir to combine over medium heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.