This delicious soup pairs extremely well with warm bread. To kick up the flavor, I may sprinkle finely grated fresh ginger into the soup bowls just before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Step 1: Making the soup
- ⅛ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
Step 2: Finishing the soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely grated fresh ginger (optional)
- In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add chopped onions to the saucepan and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes to cook the onions.
- Add the carrots to the saucepan and stir periodically for about 1 minute.
- Add the water and stock cube. Stir and cover. Let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once the carrots have cooked, remove from heat but keep covered to continue to soften the carrots while the soup slowly cools.
- Once cooled, add the milk and 1 cup water to the saucepan.
- Use a handheld blender or food processor to puree the soup.
- Return the soup to the saucepan if you used a food processor and reheat the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with freshly ground pepper and/or finely grated fresh ginger.